Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
1. Different items have different rules for borrowing. Ask a library staff member if you are unsure about an item's borrowing rules.
2. Use your ID card (aka HawkCard) to check out books. Renew books online using your library account.
3. See the Borrowing & Circulation page for information about loan periods, renewals, and overdue fees.
How to check out a book
If you have found books that you want to use AND they are allowed to be checked out, follow these steps:
- Take the books to the circulation desk on the lower level.
- Present the books along with your HawkCard.
- The staff member will check the books out to you.
- Return the books on or before the due dates to avoid overdue fees.
- If you need the books longer, request a renewal using your library account (for IIT or books from an I-Share library) or MyILL (for books received from outside of I-Share/the WorldCat catalog). Please note that some books may not be renewed. The due date that appears after you've requested a renewal is your new due date.
This process only applies to circulating books. Books marked as "noncirculating" or "library use only" are checked out to you but will not leave the building.
Books requested from other libraries are picked up and checked out from the circulation desk, too.