Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Illinois Tech Library Guides
Other resources can be more difficult to find. Here are some tips on how and where to search for them.
- Some universities make the results of their research widely available in an institutional repository. A search of the university's or their library's website will reveal if they have such a repository and how to use it.
- If you know the name of an organization that conducts research in a particular area or that is responsible for a document or product, try searching their website. White papers, technical manuals, user guides, and product specifications are often freely available this way.
- Product specifications and similar details can often be found in product catalogs. Rather than searching for a specific product, try locating a company catalog or industry register.
- In some cases, hard copies of gray literature have been acquired by libraries. These can be found by doing a normal search in WorldCat. Use terms like "report", "Progress report", "white paper", etc in addition to subject terms or keywords to narrow your search. Because gray literature is not widely held, it tends to display near the bottom of most lists if you use subject terms or keywords alone.
- Try using the advanced search features in Google. Limiting your results to, say, PDF files will often help
ClinicalTrials.gov is a database of privately and publicly funded clinical studies conducted around the world.
Environmental Studies in Video
Films covering all realms of environmental studies, particularly ethics, policy, economics, law, sociology, planning, and environmental science. The collection addresses specific topics including alternative energy, pollution control, eco-design, sustainability, farming and agriculture, the food industry, LEED certification, waste issues, and climate change.
An online catalog of a wide variety of digital resources, created by (or related to) libraries and universities
Synthesis Lectures on Biomedical Engineering
E-books and lectures covering current topics in biomedical engineering.
Online version of the Thomas Register of American Manufacturers. In addition to information on hundreds of B2B industrial suppliers and manufacturers, it includes specifications or links to the specifications of industrial and laboratory equipment.
Note: Requires free personal registration.
Online catalog featuring the holdings of more than 8,000 libraries worldwide.