Not all websites were created equal. Some may be very helpful and appropriate for use in an academic setting, while others are unreliable and not suitable for research. When determinining how or if you should use a specific website in your work, run it through the CRAP test. Does the site pass the test? Or is it a bunch of...
- How recent is the information?
- How recently has the website been updated?
- Is it current enough for your topic?
- What kind of information is included in the resource?
- Is content of the resource primarily opinion? Is is balanced?
- Does the creator provide references or sources for data or
- Who is the creator or author?
- What are the credentials?
- Who is the published or sponsor?
- Are they reputable?
- What is the publisher's interest (if any) in this information?
- Are there advertisements on the website?
Purpose/Point of View
- Is this fact or opinion?
- Is it biased?
- Is the creator/author trying to sell you something?
(originally from the LOEX 2008 wiki)